Monday 25 June 2012

To Cook: Pretty Patties

Do your kids love Spongebob Squarepants?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I insist you Google Spongebob immediately!

For those who do know the lovable sponge and his underwater friends, you must try these with your little one.

Spongebob is a fry cook who works at the Krusty Krab. He had dreams of creating a Krabby Patty with a twist



And so did the Ankle Biter and I one day when we were filled with boredom and I had nothing for dinner.

I started with:

  • 1kg of mince (any kind, I used chicken because that's what we like best)
  • Garlic minced
  • Mixed herbs
  • 1 large onion, grated
  • 1 carrot peeled and grated
  • And of course, multiple food colourings

  1. Wash those grubby hands!!
  2. Pull out a few bowls and separate the mince evenly amongst them, mixing through the garlic and herbs (I like to do this with my hands as it's fun for the kids and I find it's the best way to really get the flavour through the meat)
  3. Add the grated goodies to each bowl and mix in (I like to include carrot just to add a bit of veg. I've tried capsicum, but that was NOT a hit with the family. You can add anything extra you like, but I'd suggest to make it small)
  4. Put in a couple of drops of food colouring, but make sure that you add it gradually. You can easily make them darker, but making them lighter is not so easy!
  5. Once you're happy with colour and consistency, heat some Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan OR fire up the barbeque
  6. Roll your mince into balls and chuck them into your pan/onto the BBQ. I used the end of my potato masher to squish them into little burger patties

(these ones are uncooked but the colour really does stay better than I thought it would once you cook them)

And Voila! You have a gorgeous plate of pretty patties that the kids are bound to enjoy

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I love crazy food like this for the kiddies! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! My first commenter.
      I find keeping children amused AND feeding them healthy meals that they don't push away can be challenging tasks so I'm always looking out for new ideas :)
      BTW Congrats on gorgeous Baby Hero

      Delete

Please leave your comments and ideas - the broth is never spoiled by too many cooks :)